Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
BP Oil Spill
Wed August 15, 2012
Landrieu presses Coast Guard on BP spill cleanup
U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu is asking the Coast Guard to force BP PLC to clean up oil and equipment used in the response buried in the waters and mud along the coast.
In a letter, Landrieu asked the Coast Guard to figure out where oil remains along the coast — both in remote marshes and under the water along the coast — and to make sure large mats of buried oil from the 2010 BP spill are removed.
State officials say there are methods for removing the mats of oil but the Coast Guard has not said whether it will require BP to remove them.
Landrieu also asked that anchors used to keep oil boom in place are removed. She says about 20 boaters have collided with them.
Oil Spill Impact
Kurt Mix Trial