Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed January 16, 2013
La Santa Cecilia: globalFEST 2013
Originally published on Sat March 16, 2013 7:36 pm
Based in Los Angeles and fronted by the smoky-voiced Marisol Hernandez, the fast-rising band La Santa Cecilia splices and dices an array of Mexican and South American sounds in its songs, from Mexican norteño and ranchera to Colombian cumbia. Here, its members perform smart originals and covers of U2's "One" and Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" — all with a wry, old-soul knowingness. La Santa Cecilia has already received a Latin Grammy nomination in 2011, but with this GlobalFEST appearance, it's poised to break out to a broader audience.
- "Love Came Here"
- "El Farol"
- "La Morena"
- "El Hielo"
- "30 Days"
- "The Dark One"
- "Tainted Love"
Producers: Mito Habe-Evans, Bob Boilen; Videographers: Gabriella Garcia-Pardo, Mito Habe-Evans; Audio Engineer: Kevin Wait; Video Editor: Gabriella Garcia-Pardo; Assistant Producer: Denise DeBelius; Special Thanks to: Webster Hall, globalFEST 2013; Executive Producers: Anya Grundmann, Keith Jenkins.