Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Tue March 12, 2013
La. Rep. Cassidy Co-Sponsors "Defund Obamacare Act"
Republican Congressman Bill Cassidy has signed on to legislation that aims to defund President Obama’s health care reform law.
The Defund Obamacare Act was introduced last week by Republican Congressman Tom Graves of Georgia. If passed, the bill would prevent taxpayer dollars from being used to carry out any provisions of the Affordable Care Act. It would also rescind any unobligated money that has already been made available under the act as well.
Cassidy tweeted his co-sponsorship of the bill Monday. In a written statement, he called the Affordable Care Act a “bad deal for Americans” because it’s caused insurance premiums to rise and empowers further government control on our lives.
The House has voted over 30 times in failed attempts to either repeal the Affordable Care Act in its entirety or knock down some part of it.
Louisiana’s state legislature's Joint Insurance Committee will meet Wednesday to discuss the Affordable Care Act and its two voluntary portions: Medicaid expansion and setting up health insurance exchanges. Gov. Bobby Jindal has thus far opposed doing either in Louisiana.