Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Thu October 8, 2009
LA Green Corps Re-Launches Training Program
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Sixty-five young adults have started the seven-month training program. They'll work with the Alliance for Affordable Energy and other groups to provide labor - sometimes at no charge - while they learn the latest energy-saving techniques in building. One in the group is Cornelious Ferrande, who said he signed up not only to help himself, but his family.
City Councilwoman Cynthia Willard Lewis told the group that the skills they'll be learning are in great demand in New Orleans. She said it's vital that after the finish the program, they stay in the city.
Projects done by previous groups in the program include church restorations, and salvaging 42 tons of historic-building materials.