Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Wed July 20, 2011
Knocking 'em Back
Basic Bitters Recipe
1 cup grain alcohol
1/4 cup of any single or blend of dried herbs, fruit, fruit peels or flowers
Place the spices in a screw top jar and saturate with grain alcohol or any other high proof spirit.
Seal the jar and let the mixture stand in a cool, dark place for 2 - 4 weeks. Give the jar a good, vigorous shake once a day.
Strain the alcohol into a clean mason jar through cheesecloth to separate the liquid from the dry ingredients. Once the majority is strained, gather the cloth into a ball and squeeze it to release as much liquid as possible.
Cut the bitters with water by measuring how much bitters you have, then add half that amount of water. Pour into small dropper bottles for easy use.
These bitters should be able to be stored for up to 12 months.
We'd love to hear from you! Email us!