Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Thu August 5, 2010
The King of Seafood and Craft Beer
Creole Cream Cheese (Yields approximately 8 pints)
1 gallon skim milk
1 cup buttermilk
Pinch of salt
6 - 8 drops liquid vegetable rennet (can be purchase in health food stores)
In a large stainless or glass bowl mix together all ingredients. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and leave out on kitchen counter at room temperature for 18 - 24 hours.
You will then find one large curd cheese floating in whey. Take pint sized cheese mold (or make your own by poking holes in plastic pint containers with a soldering iron) and a slotted spoon and spoon large pieces of the cheese into the molds.
Put molds on a rack in a roasting pan and again cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Allow cheeses to drain for 6 - 8 hours before turning out of molds and storing in a tightly covered container for up to 2 weeks.
To serve, pour a bit of cream or & on top and sprinkle with sugar or eat savory style sprinkled with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.