Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Sat August 25, 2012
Jobless rates drop in 62 of 64 Louisiana parishes
Unemployment rates fell from June to July in 62 of Louisiana's 64 parishes, according to figures released Friday.
Lafourche Parish has the lowest jobless rate at 5.2 percent. East Carroll Parish's 20 percent rate is the highest. Only Concordia and Franklin parishes saw increases.
The oil-fueled Houma metro area, with 5.4 percent unemployment, is lowest among Louisiana's eight urban areas. Joblessness in metro New Orleans fell to 8.1 percent from 8.7 percent in June. In metro Baton Rouge, it fell to 8 percent from 8.7 percent.
Local rates aren't adjusted to filter out predictable seasonal swings.
Seasonally adjusted, Louisiana's jobless rate fell to 6.9 percent in July from June's 7 percent. July 2011's rate was 7.7 percent.
The national rate hit 8.3 percent in July, above June's 8.2 percent.
Small Business Administration