Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Thu March 1, 2012
Jobless Claims Ticked Down Again, Consumer Spending Edged Up
There were 2,000 fewer first-time claims for unemployment last week than in the week before, the Employment and Training Administration reports.
It says there were 351,000 such filings.
Note: Last week, the agency also said there were 351,000 such claims in the previous week. But today, it has revised that figure to 353,000. That explains the estimated 2,000-claims decline. Regardless, claims remain at a four-year-low.
In other economic news, the Bureau of Economic Analysis says consumer spending rose a modest 0.2 percent in January from December. Personal incomes rose 0.3 percent.