Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Thu February 9, 2012
Jobless Claims Drop By 15,000
The number of Americans who filed first-time claims for jobless benefits dipped to 358,000 last week, down by 15,000 from a revised 373,000 from the week before, the Employment and Training Administration just reported.
At 358,000, claims were the lowest they've been since March 2008.
The "four-week moving average" number of claims was "366,250, a decrease of 11,000 from the previous week's revised average of 377,250."
There have been several signs in recent weeks and months that the labor market is beginning to improve — most notably the word last Friday that the nation's jobless rate fell to 8.3 percent in January.