Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Department of Revenue
Wed August 15, 2012
Jindal appoints Barfield as new revenue secretary
Gov. Bobby Jindal's former labor secretary is returning to the governor's cabinet to take the helm at the Department of Revenue.
Tim Barfield will begin his job as revenue secretary in October — and will immediately begin an administration effort to revamp the state's tax system.
Jindal announced the plans Wednesday, saying a comprehensive review of the state's tax code was long overdue.
Barfield has been working for home health provider Amedisys Inc. In Jindal's first term, Barfield was head of the Louisiana Workforce Commission and then Jindal's executive counsel.
Cynthia Bridges abruptly resigned as revenue secretary in June after a dispute over a tax break interpretation.
Barfield's $250,000 annual salary will be more than twice what Bridges received. Jindal said that's less than Barfield makes in the private sector.
LSU Board Appointment