Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Mon March 14, 2011
Jesse Jackson Rallies To Block SUNO-UNO Merger
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Jackson delivered a rousing call to more than 300 SUNO students and supporters to tell the Board of Regents that they won't accept the merger. He says the majority-black institution of SUNO is critical to the community, and he says the 15-member board has only one newly appointed black member.
"An all-white Board of Regents who hired a white consultant who recommended that you shouldn't exist anymore. We must fight for justice."
The board will take public comment on the recommendations Tuesday in Baton Rouge. Jackson says he'll stay in Louisiana to lead a rally in support of keeping SUNO intact.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.