Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Jefferson Parish Schools
Sat July 21, 2012
Jefferson Parish to offer individual contracts to teachers
Jefferson Parish public schools Superintendent James Meza said he plans to offer teachers individual employment contracts while negotiations on a union contract continue.
The Times-Picayune reports the individual contracts are not intended to replace a collective bargaining agreement with the Jefferson Federation of Teachers.
However, Meza said they would protect rights and benefits of the system's more than 3,000 teachers until a union contract can be signed.
Meza and School Board member Larry Dale, chair of the board's employee relations committee, said the individual contracts will guarantee teachers the same salary and benefits of the previous union contract and that all grievance procedures comply with board policy and Louisiana law.