Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Jefferson Parish Schools
Sat July 21, 2012
Jefferson Parish to offer individual contracts to teachers
Jefferson Parish public schools Superintendent James Meza said he plans to offer teachers individual employment contracts while negotiations on a union contract continue.
The Times-Picayune reports the individual contracts are not intended to replace a collective bargaining agreement with the Jefferson Federation of Teachers.
However, Meza said they would protect rights and benefits of the system's more than 3,000 teachers until a union contract can be signed.
Meza and School Board member Larry Dale, chair of the board's employee relations committee, said the individual contracts will guarantee teachers the same salary and benefits of the previous union contract and that all grievance procedures comply with board policy and Louisiana law.