Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Thu December 29, 2011
Investigators Checking What Caused I-10 Pileup
Two people were killed and more than 60 injured in a pre-dawn multi-vehicle pileup in New Orleans East that shut down a busy stretch of the I-10 for most of the day. Drivers say heavy fog covered the area.
Louisiana officials are investigating what triggered the 40-car pile-up that closed Interstate 10 and left dozens critically injured. A responding tow truck driver says he heard screams from people pleading for help.
Witnesses say the foggy conditions appeared suddenly, and vehicles seemed to vanish. I-10 runs from Florida to California, and is a major trucking route. Investigators are also checking reports of smoke at the time of the incident.