Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Thu December 29, 2011
Investigators Checking What Caused I-10 Pileup
Two people were killed and more than 60 injured in a pre-dawn multi-vehicle pileup in New Orleans East that shut down a busy stretch of the I-10 for most of the day. Drivers say heavy fog covered the area.
Louisiana officials are investigating what triggered the 40-car pile-up that closed Interstate 10 and left dozens critically injured. A responding tow truck driver says he heard screams from people pleading for help.
Witnesses say the foggy conditions appeared suddenly, and vehicles seemed to vanish. I-10 runs from Florida to California, and is a major trucking route. Investigators are also checking reports of smoke at the time of the incident.