Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Sat December 29, 2012
Inmate Who Stole Ambulance Called Angola Warden
Louisiana State Penitentiary Warden Burl Cain says he'd never heard of an inmate breaking out of jail just to seek a transfer to another prison, but that's what a New Orleans offender serving time for armed robbery attempted early Friday.
Cain tells The Advocate he received a call around 12:40 a.m. at his residence about a prison break at Elayn Hunt Correctional Center in St. Gabriel.
On the line? Joshua Kelly, the 38-year-old inmate who prison officials say overpowered a guard and stole an ambulance to escape from the Ascension Parish prison.
Cain says Kelly wanted to return to Angola, saying he feared for his life at Hunt.
Cain says he and Public Safety and Corrections Secretary Jimmy LeBlanc persuaded Kelly to pull over and surrender to officers.