Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed March 6, 2013
Inmate Found Dead at Angola
Autopsy results are pending in the apparent suicide of an inmate at the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola.
West Feliciana Parish Sheriff J. Austin Daniel told the Advocate Monday that authorities found 33-year-old Kriss Lane hanging in his cell at Angola's main prison complex shortly before 3 p.m. Friday.
Lane, formerly of Ruskin, Fla., pleaded guilty in 2006 to manslaughter and simple robbery in the July 19, 2003, slaying of Atlanta lighting designer Shawn Johnson at a New Orleans hotel. Lane was accused of clubbing Johnson with a champagne bottle and holding his head under water in a hot tub until the victim died.
He was sentenced to 40 years for manslaughter and five years on the robbery count. He had been at Angola since July 2006.