Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Fri July 27, 2012
Hubig's Factory Destroyed in Fire
A taste of New Orleans has gone up in smoke. The Hubig’s pie factory was destroyed in a five-alarm fire.
No one was hurt in the fire that gutted the historic factory. The folded and fried pies were produced in the Marigny. Word spread quickly and the individually wrapped snacks sold out of stores. Del Lancaster of New Orleans says the pies are part of the city’s culture.
“Growing up we always had Hubig pies for a snack after school. Once I became an adult I brought it to work to have with coffee in the morning. It’s just a New Orleans icon.”
Fire officials aren’t sure what sparked the blaze. The company says it plans to rebuild.