Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Thu May 10, 2012
House Plans to Debate $25B Budget for Next Year
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — The Louisiana House expects to spend much of the day Thursday debating next year's $25 billion budget.
The spending plans would pay for agency operating expenses and programs in the new fiscal year that begins July 1.
At issue among conservative lawmakers is how much one-time money they want to patch into the budget, versus how deeply they want to cut. On the chopping block and most vulnerable to further reductions are health care services and public college programs.
The budget proposal contains an estimated $270 million in one-time money to pay for continuing programs and services, according to an analysis by the Legislative Fiscal Office.