Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed May 2, 2012
House Committee Crafts $25B Budget for Next Year
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — The House budget-writing committee has patched together a $25 billion budget for next year that would cut public colleges and health care services, force state worker layoffs and continue privatization efforts in state agencies. Conservative lawmakers say the cuts included in the 2012-13 spending plans don't go far enough.