Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Mon August 31, 2009
H1N1 Virus Resurging
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Dr. Katherine Baumgarten is the medical director of infection control for Oschner Health System. She says there has been one recorded fatality from H1N1 virus in Louisiana , and about 500 cases. She says that for some reason, the flu virus is coming back, and ahead of the region's normal flu season of mid-winter.
She says there are simple ways to avoid the flu.
But if symptoms include confusion, chest pain or coughed up blood, a trip to the emergency room is advised. A vaccine for the H1N1 strain is not expected until the fall, and will be geared toward people most at risk.