Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Fri January 11, 2013
Gretna Crime Drops 13 Percent in 2012
Overall crime in Gretna decreased 13 percent last year.
The Times-Picayune reports Police Chief Arthur Lawson told the city council Wednesday night that no murders were reported in 2012 and declines were recorded in all categories of crime except thefts, which registered a slight bump.
Lawson said the department logged a 12 percent rise in arrests. He says officers are assigned small patrol beats which allow them to pass through an area repeatedly and catch criminals in the act, which happens often.