Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Tue August 7, 2012
Greg LaFleur claims breach of SU contract
An attorney claims Southern University breached the contract of then-Athletic Director Greg LaFleur when it announced, three days after his arrest on a misdemeanor prostitution charge, that LaFleur had been fired.
A Houston jury acquitted LaFleur on the charge earlier this year.
LaFleur was arrested April 3, 2011, and on April 6, 2011, Southern announced that he had been terminated.
LaFleur attorney Scott Wilson argued Monday to state District Judge Todd Hernandez that Southern breached LaFleur's contract because the university had no cause to fire him.
The Advocate reports Southern Chancellor Kofi Lomotey has said his decision to fire LaFleur was one that had to be made quickly for the overall stability of the school's athletic program.
The judge did not indicate when he would rule.