Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Fri June 7, 2013
Grand Jury Indicts Ariel Castro On 329 Counts
Originally published on Fri June 7, 2013 6:37 pm
Ariel Castro, whose Cleveland, Ohio, home allegedly became a prison for three kidnapped young women, has been indicted on 329 counts by a grand jury. Other charges include 177 counts of kidnapping and 139 counts of rape, as well as aggravated murder, a charge stemming from "the unlawful termination of another's pregnancy."
In its indictment, the grand jury also specified that Castro "committed the offense [of aggravated murder] with a sexual motivation." It also deemed him "a sexually violent predator."
Prosecutors will decide whether to pursue the death penalty in the case after the indictment process is complete, reports The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
An arraignment has been set for next week, when a judge is also expected to be assigned to the trial. Castro's attorneys have said he plans to plead not guilty.