Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Sat April 28, 2012
Grand Caillou fire chief on paid leave
GRAND CAILLOU, La. — The Grand Caillou fire chief is on paid leave following his indictment on a sex charge.
The Courier (http://bit.ly/IbS5Fw ) reports that 61-year-old Michael Deroche Sr was charged with sexual battery following allegations of performing inappropriate acts on a community service worker at one of the fire stations last year. If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in prison.
Deroche was never arrested, but an investigation was done by the Terrebonne Sheriff's Office.
Deroche has denied the allegations.
Grand Caillou Fire Board Chairman Louis Pitre says the chief was placed on paid leave after he found out about the grand jury's decision. Pitre says board members are expected to address the situation at a meeting on May 7.
Information from: The Courier, http://www.houmatoday.com