Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Features
Thu May 14, 2009
Gatsby Dog Second Line
By Eve Abrams
New Orleans –
When someone dies in New Orleans, it's common practice to parade through the streets in what is known as a Second Line. This tribute to the deceased is lead by a brass band, which forms the "first line," and its music includes both somber dirges and joyful tunes.
This Sunday, in Algiers Point, the third annual Gatsby Dog Second Line and Celebration will take place, which brings the Second Line tradition to pets. Eve Abrams has more