Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
WWNO News Reports
Thu September 24, 2009
Fugitive Sweep Nets Arrests
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The 10-week sweep for fugitives in the region was called Operation Big Easy. Six state and local agencies joined in the program coordinated by the federal marshals. Officials say 432 fugitives were caught in the sweep. U-S Attorney Jim Letten said the marshals office has been especially effective since Hurricane Katrina.
Among the fugitives now in custody are 20 people wanted for murder, 20 for armed robbery, and more than 100 sex offenders.