Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Thu September 24, 2009
Fugitive Sweep Nets Arrests
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The 10-week sweep for fugitives in the region was called Operation Big Easy. Six state and local agencies joined in the program coordinated by the federal marshals. Officials say 432 fugitives were caught in the sweep. U-S Attorney Jim Letten said the marshals office has been especially effective since Hurricane Katrina.
Among the fugitives now in custody are 20 people wanted for murder, 20 for armed robbery, and more than 100 sex offenders.