Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Mon September 10, 2012
French Market Cookbook Fair
The event, held at the Farmers Market stage between Ursulines and Governor Nicholls Streets, is presented in partnership with the New Orleans Public Library as part of the Museum's Hungry in the South weekend. Cookbooks are a very important part of SoFAB’s mission, the museum says, representing the history of the foodways and beverage culture of their time and place.
- cookbook authors signing copies of their books
- cooking demonstrations from authors and local restaurants throughout the day, including:
- Laurie Triplette, Bayona’s Chef Susan Spicer, Janice Macomber, Broussard’s Chef Tory Stewart, Oschner’s Chef Marc Gilberti, and Chef Jay Ducote
- a cookbook swap, where members of the public can bring their extra cookbooks to trade (one for one) with those extras left by others
- used cookbooks for sale to benefit the SoFAB Culinary Library
- a drop off site for cookbook donations to the SoFAB Culinary Library
- “Meanwhile, Back At Café Du Monde… Life Stories About Food” presentation from Peggy Sweeney-McDonald and selected contributors
Carol Allen, author of Leah Chase: Listen I Say Like This, with Leah Chase
Ann Benoit, author of Broussard’s Restaurant and Courtyard Cookbook
Jyl Benson, co-author of the Galatoire’s Cookbook
Dianne de Las Casas, author of many children’s books, including The Gigantic Sweet Potato,Madame Poulet & Monsieur Roach, and The Cajun Cornbread Boy and her daughter, Eliana de Las Casas, author of Eliana Cooks!
Dale Curry, author of many cookbooks including New Orleans Home Cooking
John DeMers, author of Follow the Smoke: 14,783 Miles of Great Texas Barbecue, The Food of New Orleans Tourist Edition, Arnaud’s Creole Cookbook and many more.
Troy Gilbert, author of Cafe Degas Cookbook, Dinner with Tennassee Williams, and co-author of New Orleans Kitchens: Recipes from the Big Easy Best Restaurants
Belinda Hulin, author of The Keepsake Cookbook and Roux Memories
Peggy Sweeney-McDonald “Meanwhile, Back At Café Du Monde… Life Stories About Food” A sneak peak of the production will feature these storytellers: Karen Benrud of the Café Du Monde family, Nell Nolan-Times Picayune, Liz Williams, Chef Jay Ducote, actor- Leon Contavesprie and Peggy Sweeney-McDonald(creator/producer/editor of the “Meanwhile, Back At Café Du Monde… shows/book)
Janice Macomber, author of Tastes, Tails, & Tales with the High Priestess of the Bayou
Bruce Kraig, author of the soon to be published Man Bites Dog: Hot Dog Culture in America
Amy Sins, author of Ruby Slippers Cookbook,
Susan Spicer, Chef and Author of Crescent City Cooking: Unforgettable Recipes from Susan Spicer’s New Orleans
Dr. Betty Ruth Speir, author of Come Cook With Me- Betty Ruth
Brian Swain, author of World Hunger,
Laurie Tripplett, author of Gimme Some Sugar Darlin’
Ann Tuennerman, signing copies of Tales of the Cocktail from A to Z
The Sound of Books