Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed July 3, 2013
Free Medical Clinic Coincides With Essence Festival
More than a thousand people are expected to get free medical care today from a non-profit setting up at the Convention Center. It was moved up earlier than usual this year because of the Essence Festival.
The National Association of Free and Charitable Clinics is offering its fourth event in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina.
Executive Director Nicole Lamoureux says past clinics have been scheduled on Katrina anniversaries.
But not this time.
“Part of the reason we changed was because the Essence Fest is happening over the Fourth of July. And it was a big festival and they had said ‘Would you come and kick off the Essence Fest with us?’ And that’s a big time for us to be here, and also it’s a really great time for people to give back to their community — on Independence Day.”
She said hundreds of volunteers include Essence attendees. They’ll help connect people with the doctors and nurses also volunteering their time.
And they’ll make sure patients have information about where to follow-up on longer-term care – such as in clinics available in their local communities.
Arts & Culture