Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Fri April 20, 2012
Former Rep. Jefferson to Serve Sentence in 2 Weeks
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — A former Louisiana congressman will have to begin serving a 13-year prison sentence for taking bribes and other crimes within two weeks.
Democrat William Jefferson was convicted in 2009 but has been free on bond while appealing his case. The case drew headlines when FBI agents found $90,000 cash hidden in Jefferson's freezer.
Last month a federal appeals court in Richmond upheld all but one of the 11 counts on which he was convicted. At a status hearing Friday in federal court in Alexandria, the judge ordered Jefferson to turn himself in to U.S. Marshals by May 4 to serve the sentence.
The judge is recommending Jefferson serve his time at a prison camp near New Orleans.
Jefferson's lawyer said an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court is under consideration.