Most Active Stories
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
WWNO News Reports
Fri July 1, 2011
Former NOPD Officer Testified He Shot At Boy On Danziger Bridge Out Of Fear
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Ignatius Hills told a federal jury that the mood among his colleagues at that time was intense. They were responding in the back of a rental truck to reports of shots fired at officers in the mayhem that prevailed days after Hurricane Katrina. Hills says he fired at the boy even though he did not feel threatened. He missed. But when shooting stopped, two people were dead and four wounded. All were unarmed civilians. Hills is one of five former officers who have pleaded guilty to joining in a cover-up that involved false reports and planted evidence. Five former or current officers are on trial four involved in the shooting and one in the alleged cover-up. Proceedings will resume next week after the holiday weekend.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming