Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Thu July 15, 2010
Former New Orleans Man Indicted for Hate Crimes
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The indictment alleges Roland Bourgeouis, who is white, discussed his plan to shoot African-Americans he didn't know walking through his neighborhood to protect the area. He's also accused of telling a black resident of his Algiers Point neighborhood that he'd shoot anyone - quote - "darker than a brown paper bag" - end quote. The FBI says Bourgeouis shot and wounded three men. The 47-year-old allegedly later displayed a bloody baseball cap that belonged to one of the victims. Earlier this week, Attorney General Eric Holder announced indictments against six police officers accused of shooting unarmed civilians after the storm, then mounting an elaborate cover-up. The U-S Attorney says the investigations continue.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.