Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
WWNO News Reports
Mon August 31, 2009
Former HANO Official Indicted
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – 43-year-old Elias Castellanos is accused of embezzling 900-thousand dollars when he was chief financial officer of the Housing Authority of New Orleans. Last week, the director of the Section Eight housing program for the very poor resigned amid allegations that he received that money for his own residence. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan said during a recent visit to housing projects in New Orleans that the agency has been "a concern for some time." The agency is now in the process of replacing thousands of units damaged by Katrina. It is also under investigation by HUD's inspector general and the FBI.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans