Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed October 13, 2010
Food on the Move
Vanilla Pull Taffy (Yields 1 pound)
1 cups sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoons butter
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Then, cook quickly, without stirring to the very hard ball stage 268 - 270 degrees. Add teaspoon vanilla and pour out onto a cold buttered surface. When a dent can be made with a finger, gather into a ball and begin to pull in foot long lengths until light and shiny. Roll into long thin strips and cut into 1 inch pieces. Store in a tightly covered tin.