Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Wed May 15, 2013
'Follow Your NOLA' Campaign Unveiled To Draw Visitors
The New Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation has unveiled its latest campaign to attract visitors to the city. Recent national news attention of the Mother’s Day shooting makes the job that much harder.
The new campaign is called “Follow Your NOLA.”
It’s fanning out in markets featuring a slideshow of iconic New Orleans scenes for 15 seconds. And, of course, it is accompanied by music.
Officials say the campaign is designed to attract cultural tourism, and encourages visitors to go beyond Bourbon Street and the French Quarter.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu spoke at the launch, acknowledging the Mother’s Day shooting and other violent crimes tainting the city’s reputation.
He calls it the “elephant in the room.”
“We ought to just put it right up there and make sure that everybody knows that we have a plan to deal with that issue," Landrieu said. "But in the meantime, we will continue to do what it is that we do better than everybody else in the world and we have to tell that, tell that to them in a way that makes them feel comfortable and know that they can come here and have a wonderful time like they have always done, like they can do now and they always will be able to do.”
Social media is also an element in the campaign. The main website – featuring the fleur-de-lis symbol pointing to various attractions – is NewOrleansOnline.com.