Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Coast Guard Rescue
Sat September 8, 2012
Five rescued after boat hits river jetty
Five fishermen have been rescued by the Coast Guard and group of good Samaritans after their boat struck a jetty at the mouth of the Mississippi River.
The Coast Guard says all five men were wearing lifejackets and didn't sustain any injuries in the collision early Saturday morning.
The crew of a 40-foot pilot boat arrived at the scene and brought the men aboard their boat before a Coast Guard helicopter responded to a distress call.
The rescued men had boarded a raft after their 65-foot vessel started taking on water.
The Coast Guard was investigating the cause of the incident.