Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Fri August 5, 2011
Five NOPD Convictions In Danziger Bridge Shooting
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – All five defendants were convicted in the cover-up. Four accused in the shootings were convicted of civil rights violations. But the federal jury decided that the two killings were not murders. Defense attorneys had argued police were responding to reports of shots fired at officers and thought their lives were in danger. U-S Attorney Jim Letten says using the chaos after Katrina as a defense will not work.
"Rampages by police, especially during the most difficult times that we face, are inexcusable."
The five will be sentenced in December, and are facing lengthy prison terms.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.