Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Fri August 5, 2011
Five NOPD Convictions In Danziger Bridge Shooting
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – All five defendants were convicted in the cover-up. Four accused in the shootings were convicted of civil rights violations. But the federal jury decided that the two killings were not murders. Defense attorneys had argued police were responding to reports of shots fired at officers and thought their lives were in danger. U-S Attorney Jim Letten says using the chaos after Katrina as a defense will not work.
"Rampages by police, especially during the most difficult times that we face, are inexcusable."
The five will be sentenced in December, and are facing lengthy prison terms.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.