Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
WWNO News Reports
Fri August 5, 2011
Five NOPD Convictions In Danziger Bridge Shooting
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – All five defendants were convicted in the cover-up. Four accused in the shootings were convicted of civil rights violations. But the federal jury decided that the two killings were not murders. Defense attorneys had argued police were responding to reports of shots fired at officers and thought their lives were in danger. U-S Attorney Jim Letten says using the chaos after Katrina as a defense will not work.
"Rampages by police, especially during the most difficult times that we face, are inexcusable."
The five will be sentenced in December, and are facing lengthy prison terms.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.