Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Gulf Oil Spill
Tue March 1, 2011
First Deepwater Drilling Permit Issued Since Deepwater Horizon Disaster
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The Interior Department is allowing Noble Energy to resume drilling its well 70 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana. Drilling was stopped after four days when the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded. The government says permission was granted after the company showed it's capable of containing a spill with a new capping stack system. Governor Bobby Jindal says the move is a "good first step" to getting thousands of oil and gas crews back to work.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.