Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed November 16, 2011
1/2 CUP OIL
1 CUP FLOUR
4 GUMBO CRABS
2 LBS. SHRIMP
1 ONION, CHOPPED
1 BELL PEPPER, CHOPPED
3 STALKS CELERY, CHOPPED
2 LBS. OKRA, SLICED 1/4"
OIL FOR FRYING OKRA
1 - 1 LB. CAN CRUSHED TOMATOES
1 GALLON SHRIMP STOCK
1 CLOVE GARLIC
2 T THYME
1 BAY LEAF
1 BUNCH GREEN ONIONS
CRYSTAL HOT SAUCE TO TASTE
Peel shrimp and combine peels, onion skins and tops in a stock pot. Cover with water and boil for 20 minutes. Strain and reserve.
Fry okra in very hot oil until lightly browned (or roast).
Make a dark roux with the flour and oil, cooking to the color of milk chocolate brown. Add onions, stirring together until the roux darkens to a bittersweet chocolate brown. Add celery and bell pepper. Saut for five minutes, then add the gumbo crabs, tomatoes okra, herbs and the shrimp stock. Add garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 45 minutes or longer.
Ten minutes before serving add shrimp and green onions. Add Crystal Hot Sauce and salt as needed. Serve on top of cooked rice.
We'd love to hear from you! Email us or enter our Culinary Quiz!