Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed November 3, 2010
A Feast of a Show
Seafood Stuffed Mirlitons (Serves 8)
4 mirliton or choyote squash
1 stick of butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 Pound of peeled shrimp, chopped
1 Pound of claw crabmeat
2 tablespoons diced ham
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 bunch thinly sliced green onions
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional bread crumbs and butter for topping
Split each mirliton in half and boil in salted water until just tender. Remove and discard the seed. Scoop out the mirliton with a spoon, carefully preserving the shell.
Melt the butter in a skillet. Add onions and saute until translucent. Add the mirliton meat. Stir in shrimp and cook until just pink. Remove from the heat and add ham, crabmeat, green onions and bread crumbs. Season to taste. Fill mirliton halves with stuffing. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and top with a pat of butter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes until heated through.