Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 22, 2015
Thu August 14, 2014
Fatal Tugboat Accident At Industrial Canal
The Coast Guard says a tugboat captain is dead after the arm of a crane struck a bridge and fell back onto the tug's pilothouse.
The accident happened early Thursday morning on the Industrial Canal north of the Mississippi River in New Orleans.
Authorities say the tugboat was pushing a barge with a crane. The crane's arm struck a drawbridge and fell back on the tug. Coast Guard spokesman Jonathan Lally says the drawbridge was open at the time of the accident.
He says the state inspected the bridge and it was reopened to vehicle traffic.
An investigation is underway to determine the cause of the accident.