Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Farmers Market Minute
Sat December 25, 2010
Farmers Markets Closed Christmas Day
Merry Christmas! In a rare moment of commercial restraint, our regions farmers markets are closed for two successive Saturdays. Christmas Day and New Year's Day. This allows for farming families to spend time at home together like everybody else. Needless to say, weekday farmers markets remain open.
This temporary pause does give time for reflection. If you can remember even a few years back, the faces behind the tables at our regions markets were noticeably more mature older. Recent studies at the Crescent City Farmers Market show how 31% of vendors are now under the age of 40. 31%! That's a significant uptick. As families gather for Christmas, consider how farmers are growing the next generation of farmers. For the WWNO farmers market minute, this is Richard McCarthy.