Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
WWNO News Reports
Wed January 20, 2010
Fair Grounds offering night racing
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – It's the first time in Fair Grounds history that thoroughbreds raced after dark. Weather didn't cooperate. A steady rain made sloppy track conditions. And a power outage delayed the first race. But Fair Grounds President Austin Miller said the experiment was a success, pulling in about 7,000 people, which is about twice the normal crowd for a Friday. He said the goal was to attract an after-work crowd, especially those who haven't gone to a horse race.
And if you're lucky..some extra money.
The two remaining night races are on the third Friday of February and March.