Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Wed January 20, 2010
Fair Grounds offering night racing
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – It's the first time in Fair Grounds history that thoroughbreds raced after dark. Weather didn't cooperate. A steady rain made sloppy track conditions. And a power outage delayed the first race. But Fair Grounds President Austin Miller said the experiment was a success, pulling in about 7,000 people, which is about twice the normal crowd for a Friday. He said the goal was to attract an after-work crowd, especially those who haven't gone to a horse race.
And if you're lucky..some extra money.
The two remaining night races are on the third Friday of February and March.