Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed September 8, 2010
Extreme Cuisine Edition
Mock Turtle Soup (Serves 8)
1 1/2 pounds beef brisket, cubed
1 cup canola oil
1 cup flour
2 onions, chopped
1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 pound ham, finely chopped
2 quarts water
3 bay leaves
6 whole cloves
1 teaspoon thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup sherry
3 hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
In a heavy 5 quart dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add beef. Stir until beef is browned. Remove meat from pan. Add remainder of oil and combine with flour to make a roux, stirring constantly until the roux is milk chocolate brown. Add onions stirring until the roux darkens to bittersweet chocolate brown. Add the tomatoes, the ham and the water. Combine all spices and seasonings in a tea ball or cheesecloth bag and add to pot. Simmer for 3 hours. Remove spices and adjust for salt and pepper. Before serving, add sherry. Garnish each bowl with hard boiled egg and a lemon slice.