Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
13.7: Cosmos And Culture
Mon March 5, 2012
The Exquisite Tilt Of A Spiral Galaxy
Originally published on Sun March 4, 2012 11:12 am
This lovely image of the spiral galaxy ESO 510-13 was featured on Friday's Astronomy Picture of the Day.
A galaxy is a collection of billions of stars (gas and dust and lots of Dark Matter) held together by their mutual gravity. The exquisite warp seen here is likely caused by interactions with other galaxies. Collisions or "harassment" between galaxies is quite common and may be the most important process shaping galactic evolution.