Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Fri January 25, 2013
EU Ambassador Visiting New Orleans
The European Union’s ambassador to the United States will be speaking next week at Tulane University. His lecture will highlight how the EU is relevant to Louisiana and the United States.
EU Ambassador Joao Vale de Almeida will speak about his role in Washington, and the nearly three years he's spent in his current job. During that time he’s seen the EU struggle through economic crises, including those in Greece and Spain. Unemployment in both countries is now about 25 percent.
He’s also seen the EU win last year’s Nobel Peace Prize, awarded for changing Europe from a region of war to a union for peace. The ambassador will speak at 4 p.m. Tuesday, and then take questions from the audience.
The discussions are open to the public. Seating is limited and reservations are being accepted.