Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Tue December 6, 2011
Egypt And Tigerblood Top Twitter's List Of Hashtags This Year
Originally published on Tue December 6, 2011 11:38 am
Yet another sign of the very diverse interests of the world's webizens:
Twitter says the top two hashtags this year have been #egypt and #tigerblood.
Egypt went to the top of words to search and post thanks to the Arab Spring and the uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak. As for No. 2, its popularity is all due to actor Charlie Sheen and his famous claim to have "tiger blood."
As for the other words, names and topics that Twitter says were hot this year, they include:
-- "Japan," because of the March earthquake and tsunami.
-- "Raid on Osama bin Laden."
-- "Elizabeth Taylor," who died in March.
-- "McLobster," because of rumors that McDonald's would sell a lobster sandwich across the U.S. It isn't going to.