Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Tue December 6, 2011
Egypt And Tigerblood Top Twitter's List Of Hashtags This Year
Yet another sign of the very diverse interests of the world's webizens:
Twitter says the top two hashtags this year have been #egypt and #tigerblood.
Egypt went to the top of words to search and post thanks to the Arab Spring and the uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak. As for No. 2, its popularity is all due to actor Charlie Sheen and his famous claim to have "tiger blood."
As for the other words, names and topics that Twitter says were hot this year, they include:
-- "Japan," because of the March earthquake and tsunami.
-- "Raid on Osama bin Laden."
-- "Elizabeth Taylor," who died in March.
-- "McLobster," because of rumors that McDonald's would sell a lobster sandwich across the U.S. It isn't going to.