Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Mon March 17, 2014
Edwin Edwards Running For Congress
Edwin Edwards, the former governor of Louisiana who served eight years in federal prison for corruption is now running for Congress. The 86-year-old Edwards wants to represent the Louisiana 6th District in the House of Representatives.
The former governor is barred from running for a state seat, but not a federal office.
Edwards is a Democrat. The district, which stretches from Baton Rouge to coastal Louisiana, is dominated by Republicans.
Several have announced intentions to campaign for the seat. Edwards served four terms as governor: two in the 1970s, another in the 1980s, and his final term in 1991.
After his release from prison in 2011, he and his wife Trina — a Republican 50 years his junior — starred in a reality television show. He says he now wants to concentrate on agricultural and public works projects.
Arts & Culture