Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Mon March 17, 2014
Edwin Edwards Running For Congress
Edwin Edwards, the former governor of Louisiana who served eight years in federal prison for corruption is now running for Congress. The 86-year-old Edwards wants to represent the Louisiana 6th District in the House of Representatives.
The former governor is barred from running for a state seat, but not a federal office.
Edwards is a Democrat. The district, which stretches from Baton Rouge to coastal Louisiana, is dominated by Republicans.
Several have announced intentions to campaign for the seat. Edwards served four terms as governor: two in the 1970s, another in the 1980s, and his final term in 1991.
After his release from prison in 2011, he and his wife Trina — a Republican 50 years his junior — starred in a reality television show. He says he now wants to concentrate on agricultural and public works projects.
Arts & Culture