Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Mon January 14, 2013
Dunes to Protect Port Fourchon
Work is expected to begin in spring on construction of a sand dune barrier designed to protect Port Fourchon.
The Courier reports the Greater Lafourche Port Commission has approved a $3 million bid to build about a mile of dunes along the beach.
The dunes will be built up to a height of 10 feet and will be made of a textile tube core filled with slurry to form a solid base that can't be easily washed away by storm surge.
The construction bid was awarded to New Orleans-based Hamp's Construction.
The bid was nearly $1 million under budget, port director Chett Chiasson said.