Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Mon January 14, 2013
Dunes to Protect Port Fourchon
Work is expected to begin in spring on construction of a sand dune barrier designed to protect Port Fourchon.
The Courier reports the Greater Lafourche Port Commission has approved a $3 million bid to build about a mile of dunes along the beach.
The dunes will be built up to a height of 10 feet and will be made of a textile tube core filled with slurry to form a solid base that can't be easily washed away by storm surge.
The construction bid was awarded to New Orleans-based Hamp's Construction.
The bid was nearly $1 million under budget, port director Chett Chiasson said.