Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 22, 2015
Mon July 21, 2014
Drive To Ban Smoking Kicks Off In New Orleans
A drive kicks off this week to ban smoking in New Orleans bars.
Councilwoman Latoya Cantrell is backing the idea. She says the change would benefit local businesses.
“This has been going on across the country for over a decade now," she said. "And so we have real facts that it is not a negative impact on our businesses. Actually revenues increase. And it’s cheaper to maintain a bar or lounge that is smoke free than one that is not.”
Cantrell says the effort will begin at various venues this week that are now voluntarily smoke-free.
She says the issue could be decided by the City Council voting on a smoke-free ordinance — and would not require a citywide election.
Listening Post NOLA