Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Fri March 12, 2010
Doctors Group Calls for Better Disaster Coordination
By Eileen Fleming
Haiti – Doctor Fred Wilson of New Orleans practiced as an orthopedic trauma specialist after Hurricane Katrina, and again in Haiti after the earthquake. He said that both disasters had "colossal screw-ups" in coordination, most recently hampering earthquake relief.
"We did mobile clinics. We did clinics up in the mountains, and really basically did whatever assistance we could. But it was, it was incredibly chaotic and it was incredibly difficult to put the right assets and the right doctors in the right places"
The 36-thousand member medical society is working on creating credentials.The information would be used as a data base, allowing doctors rapid clearance to where they're needed most.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans