Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Thu July 19, 2012
Deputy accused of crashing patrol car while drunk
A Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputy has resigned after allegedly crashing his patrol car while drunk.
Col. John Fortunato, a department spokesman, tells The Times-Picayune (http://bit.ly/OmyXsI) that 27-year-old Christopher Hyer resigned July 12.
He says Hyer had been suspended immediately after he was booked July 9 with driving while intoxicated and improper control of a vehicle. Fortunato says that after people called to report that a marked patrol car had hit a tree, deputies went to the hospital where the driver had been taken and found that he was intoxicated.
Fortunato says Hyer was off-duty when the accident occurred.
Hyer could not be reached for comment. There was no immediate response to a call to the only phone listing for someone with that name in Jefferson Parish.